- Turmeric – Found in many a takeaway curry, turmeric is currently undergoing trials for the medical benefits of the substance curcumin, found in turmeric. Current investigations hint that the yellow powder helps to prevent Alzheimer’s, cancer and arthritis
- Kaempferia galangal – Medical researchers believe this spice can fend off mosquitoes that could potentially transfer deadly diseases like malaria, Japanese encephalitis, dengue fever and yellow fever.
- Cumin – This tasty warm spice assists the body in its digestion process
- Red chilli – Chilies also aid digestion and are great for suppressing the risk of pancreatic cancer. Weight loss has also been attributed to chilies and pain relief and the prevention of stomach ulcers have also been attributed to chilies
- Coriander – Cholesterol reduction is related to this tasty spice and anti inflammatory properties. It also contains a high level of iron, magnesium and dietary fibre.
Ayurveda is the practice of ancient Indian medicines using only herbs and spices to alleviate suffering and general medical problems. Simple things like pepper was used to cure digestive complaints, coriander used for those with trouble sleeping and ginger for liver complaints; making it a great ingredient to enjoy next time you go to a London curry house and drink a beer!